Thursday, April 9, 2009

Things I keep struggling with

I love to teach people, give sales people technical updates, presales and do all the architect stuff.

But I always say that you can't do the above stuff if you don’t do all the Technical stuff yourself. This means you also need to do implementations, go into the lab and test new features, etc.

For me this isn’t a real problem, because I love to do the technical stuff. But the biggest problem with this is that most of the time I don’t have the time to do it all.

Also if I want to grow to a higher function (technical manager, service manager, etc). I will have to release some of these tasks. But then again I am convinced you need the technical stuff to be able to do the presales, architect tasks,And I have it very hard to release the deep technical experience.

So the question is …., is there a function where you can still be deep technical and convince people to buy some products, because you believe in them. (If I believe in something (and this mostly based on technical features), I will be a big evangelist of this product.

So the perfect job for me would be something where I can combine these task (deep technical, train people, convince customers (presales), play with the newest features, etc.

The big question is………., those this job exist? (Product marketing engineer, …..)

Let me know what you thing about the above.

GreetZ,
Frac

1 comment:

Riivo Must said...

"But I always say that you can do the above stuff if you don’t the all the things you say above yourself." -- Shouldn't that be (missing letters uppercased and bold): "But I always say that you can'T do the above stuff if you don’t DO all the things you say by yourself."

But more importantly - I think maybe you should have two jobs, if you have enough time. The other one in another company (a magazine?) or in the same company.

Better if there are two "yous", then you just exchange the tasks as needed, equally with each other, and both of you can then do what you want to do.

echo